Meet Fred

Fred is our kitchen spider. He has been making his way back and forth on the kitchen ceiling and unless he decides to land on my head he can stay around killing bugs :p

So the last post I wrote that I was going to finish art that had been pushed away for whatever reason. I decided to finish this scarab I started over a year ago. Thought doing a scarab in colour would be a nice change from the inked ones that I do. (picture is really washed out as I don't have a scanner hooked up at the moment)

Here the outline is filled in with canary yellow and various oranges going lightest to darkest to try to get a flame effect. I could use darker reds to push the values more but thought that I should wait until the rest is coloured to see if it does need to be darkened. I don't want it to be so dark that it over powers the rest of the image.


I thought that using a peacock colour sheme would look really nice, so picked out some light blues and purples to colour the main scarab. In this picture it still needs about 10 layers to get to a point that I will be happy with it. I am going to try to make the tail section look like the peacocks feathers, but a little more stylized.

Next week the Scottish word of the week will return and hopefully more art. I think after this is done I will either finish a few horses or a flower that was started months ago.

Comments

  1. Anonymous12:02 pm

    Oh my god, a scarab and peacock hybrid?!! If only they existed!! I can't wait to see the finished result!

    ReplyDelete
  2. will stand well back from Fred, I am sure he is a lovely spider,,,,but , aye , will stand well back!
    scarab is fantastic! i love to see art work in its stages on making!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your attitude to spiders. My husband rescues them (catches them in a tissue or cup (depends on size) and takes them outdoors. I like them in the garden, or even guarding the houseplants, but last week I had one crawl out of the my lidded mug (EEEWWW!).
    Your scarab drawing is looking good. Seems to be on topic too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that would be cool. :) makes me want to sculpt a model of one now (and with our oven now it might not burn the sculpy and the fumes wouldn't be toxic)

    If this was my dad's place, Fred would be dead by now as he is horribly allergic to spiders and when he gets bitten he has to go the hospital as quickly as possible.

    Thanks for the comments :D I have no problem with most bugs, will rescue bees with cups and paper, try to get spiders outside, or yell at kids who touch butterflies :p I do prefer them outside and def not in my tea mug! (that would have put me off of tea for awhile lol)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:09 am

    Love the scarab :-) - hate the spider :-(
    Hubby catches them in a jam jar and takes them outside. I know they do great things, and I know they can't hurt me... but... just too many legs...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me & Cal used to name our Spiders, LOL....I allowed some to stay and other were evicted outside (dare I say it via my hand). Great scarab, reckon it will look ace if you can really get a peacock colour, won't that be hard to do?

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah the colours of a peacock are proving to be harder to get than I thought lol Hopefully it has the over all look of the bird *crosses fingers*

    Fred seems to have moved on, unless I squished him moving around the pots...oops :/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer of Colour #3