Grid

I took this the other day and would have got more of the doves, but a cat tried to get them so cue me pushing open the window and hissing at the cat :p :/ I know I go on and on about the cats in the area, but if you have to pick up your dog waste, why don't you have to pick up your cat waste? Or keep your cat inside. I know of a few towns where the cat population was so bad that they brought in bylaws limiting the number of cats you could have and if it was caught outside without a tag on, and the owner could not be found it was either adopted back out or put down. Some people might think that is harsh, but people were getting sick from having to clean up the waste and getting attacked. (and before anyone says its only a cat, I have seen what a cat bite can do and its not pretty.)

We have had people tell us that their cat would never make a mess in our garden, yeah so that orange tabby that I chased away isn't your cat? I like cats, I really do but I wish people here would realize that letting them out does the area more harm then good. On any given day there are 10-15 cats on the street and not all of them have homes because people don't fix their cats.

Besides having to clean up the mess they make, they kill a lot of the wildlife in the area that is already in bad shape (or breed with wild cats :/). I know most people know this, I just wish the people around here would wake up :/

ok I'm done ranting :p

So this is how you would grid a drawing. Either print off your picture or if you have a photo editing program that will let you make even straight lines that will work too. I try to make the squares 1 inch by 1 inch, but if the drawing has a lot of detail I would make them half inch square.

Once you have your lines drawn, number the squares. Now take another piece of paper and draw another grid on it. On this piece I just used a 1 inch grid but you can make the squares smaller or bigger, it doesn't really matter as long as they are square and you have the same amount of squares as your print out. Number the squares the same as your photo.

I found the easiest way to grid is to treat each square like its quartered and to find a starting point like the tips of his ears. Make little ticks or dots where the parts of the item you are drawing touch a line of the square. Make sure to make your marks in the right numbered square. I have a lot of times had to start over because I made the dots either a square above or a square to the side which throws everything out.

After you have made the dots its just like playing connect the dots but you do have to sometimes ignore the grid to make things work out; ex. areas in the centre of the squares where you might have a hard time judging where things are in relation to parts that touch the lines of the squares and sometimes the dots just don't line up so you have to eye everything.

I use to think using a grid was cheating but really you still have to colour what you have grided and if you don't have any type of enlarger its an easy way to shrink or enlarge an image to the size you want. I've done this with a huge mural I was painting to small intricate drawings. It can sometimes take longer to grid something then drawing it free hand and there are people that might think you are not an artist if you do grid things, but it works really well with getting angles and detail down.

Hopefully I will have this transfered on the good paper tomorrow. I would have loved to do this bigger but I don't have any big pieces of paper left.

Comments

  1. don't get me started on cats pooping in my garden!!!!
    we even have one cat who jumps out on poppy and chases her up the garden!!!

    I do like how you explained the griding of the drawing.
    what size of paper are you doing this on?
    love teen xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol poor poppy!

    the paper is 11 by 14 inches so the final will probably be that size too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:31 pm

    That is a gorgeous photo of the doves! Sorry about the cats in your area, mine has been spade and is a houscat too bad this isn't the way it is in your nieghborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH, I so agree with you about cats. I think it's so unfair that here we have pay registration to have a dog but cat owners don't...why the heck not? Cats tend to be more of a problem than dogs....fences don't keep them from climbing into our yard and pooping in our garden and cat poop and pee STINKS!!! Not to mention that so many people don't both spaying them and they seem to overrun the community, not to mention the harm they cause to our native wildlife. I'm not talking about responsible cat owners here.

    Yes, it looks so much better after being gridded. I say PHFFFFT! to those who think gridding is cheating....many professional artists use the grid method and, as I mentioned previously, even Da Vinci used grids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cats stink! Don't get me wrong, I love cats, especially my baby but if it is never cleaned up, it stinks. Love your doves. The Eurasions are one of my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice picture of doves! Good shot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree on the cats,I love flowers my neighbors love cats..so why do I have to put up with their love..
    Your photos are always wonderful..must have a great camera or talent..

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have the same problems with the neighbors cats. They climb on our cars, dig in my plant pots, kill any geckos or birds they can- just for the joy of killing as they don't even eat them, and crap in my rock garden. I like cats, too, but they need to be kept inside just like dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun to have doves about. And you're right - too many cats about loose (and unfixed) can become a serious problem if left unchecked. Good luck with that (you just need a couple of neighborhood coyotes - does wonders for an excess cat population).

    I like your pony - and hey, use whatever tools you have at your disposal I say! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely pic of the doves :D I think using a grid is fine - I'm sure some of our most famous artists used grids!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the info on gridding. Since I mostly do sketchbook stuff, really quick art, it sounds so hard but if I ever do serious art, I will try this. I'm really looking forward to seeing this when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kerry- I could live with people letting their cats out if they spayed or neutered them, or put them in a harness lol

    Serena- don't have to have a dog registered here, I don't think at least. I know where dad is living your dog needs tags and to be registered. Next time someone says that using a grid is cheating I'm going to have to tell them about the artists that have use a grid (it might shut them up,..or it might make them say they hate those artists too.. :/)

    carla- I love cats too, but they can stink (I don't know what the people around here are feeding their cats but the smell is horrible :/)

    Jacque- I think the difference between the 2 is that flowers on the whole don't leave a smelly mess in a garden or eat things (ok some plants do, but none around here. hmm I wonder if it would scare the cats....jk ;) )I think its the camera lol Just a small digital but it can take some really nice pictures (Canon Powershot A710 IS) best money we have spent and I love the video function

    Linda- I've told people that cats can kill just to kill but they don't believe me :/ The only thing here that gets the cats off the cars is turning the hose on them :/ or spraying them with a spray bottle. Doesn't hurt the cat but some people think its cruel (pay for my paint job then to fix your cat scratches and we wouldn't have a problem :p)

    tara- thanks :) coyotes would work but I'm sure the farmers would shoot them. Big uproar about a guy wanting to reintroduce wolves in Scotland. I think it would be a great idea if a safe way to do it could be found (and they don't cause problems like the beaver that got loose a few weeks ago lol)

    tweed- :D thanks

    Sandy- your welcome :) Its not hard, and its easy if you already can draw. Sketching helps a lot with this technique because you sometimes have to fill in huge areas :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer of Colour #3