Mystery Finch

At first I thought this was a Goldfinch, but it could be a Greenfinch. I wish I could get a better picture of it but it moves around all the time and gets spooked at the slightest movement or sound.

This site has come in so handy when I have no idea what type of bird is in our yard. Nothing really out of the ordinary, but because some of the birds look so different from the birds I am use to seeing, it can be hard for me to identify them. I was thinking of making up a life list for birds, but would I just have birds that are native to here, or pick birds that I like and want to see? Going to be a long list of birds :p

Finished griding the horse and transfered onto Stonehenge. One sheet left to use up and I won't have any left *dances* I so much prefer watercolour paper to work on. Stonehenge can be nice if you want 50 million layers but I have never seen the point of having so many layers when you can get the same effects with only a few. Yes coloured pencil does look better when you use multiple colours and layers but why use 50 layers when 10 will do (and that isn't using a lot of pressure)?

The little colour ACEO sized card was a little experiment to see if something would work. Anyone remember making crayon drawings in school and then covering them with water based paint so it then doesn't stick to the crayon? hmm maybe only my school lol I wanted to have a coloured background like my eagle but wanted to try to see if I could get away with putting the background in after the horse is finished.

The first line is my Inktense pencil, the second line is Coloursofts and the last is Prismas. I then took a blue Neocolour and coloured the whole piece of paper. Up close it actually worked pretty good, just not sure what might happen if I put a lot of different colours down. I might just have to put the background in first. I was thinking of different shades of blue and violet to go with the coloured tack on the horse. Any other colour suggestion?

Copyright Jennifer Rose Phillip

And I started an Eagle ACEO. hmm he looks a little pissed off :p

I've realized that I post a lot of bird pictures or draw a lot of bird art. I think if I wasn't going to try to go to school for art I would probably try to get involved with helping birds (which reminds me, I really need to get off my arse and apply before its too late...still need to write my statement though :/)

Comments

  1. Looking good....love how the eagle ACEO is coming along too. I've noticed that I've painted more birds than animals. The blue and violet background sounds nice. Sometimes, I experiment with different colours for backgrounds before settling on one. I guess you can't really do that with paper unless you were to colour the horse first and then do a couple of colour print-outs that you can then apply different backgrounds to and see how they look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know anything about these drawing/painting media, when I was at school all we had were pastels and water colours, lol!

    I didn't lose my guestbook off my computer, it was off the website that hosts it, so I've just had to start again, sigh!. Anyhoo, onwards and upwards...

    How's your snow? No more here (so far!) :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the birds and wildlife too Jen...For identifying your top one, I think it is either a green finch or a siskin. I also use this site for indentification, it is quite interesting:

    http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/

    The start of the ACEO looks excellent, I do think birds of prey always look a little peeed off, it is part of their fascination i think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think he looks great even though a bit pissed off lol! Look forward to seeing your horse come to life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I went and checked out your eagle, what great work! I use to spend all my time over at WetCanvas in the colored pencil section, practicing on laying down layers etc. I love working with colored pencils but haven't done anything really serious with it lately.

    ReplyDelete
  6. serena- thanks :) If I end up scrapping the paper that I use now, I will do the print out idea. It is a good way to get an idea of how it will look. I think I draw so many birds because there is such a variety of colours and shapes I will never run out of things to draw

    Blackcat- We used a lot of pastels in school too, so much that I was shaking pastel dust off my clothes for days lol Just a big of snow left, lots in the mountains but its melting here. Pretty cold though

    chrissy-that is a great site *bookmarks* :) thanks

    shashi-thank you :D

    sandy- thank you, I really do like how the eagle turned out :) I spend a lot of time on the CP forum on WetCanvas, it can be a good place to kill a few hours.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer of Colour #3