Books Reviews

A couple of book reviews, probably the last for the year unless I don't sleep at all :p

 Blood of Dragons (Rain Wild Chronicles, #4)Blood of Dragons by Robin Hobb
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Hard to review this without spoilers, but I will try :)

I enjoyed this series a lot, until this final one. A lot of intense build up and nothing really happens :/ Very anti-climatic. The best part of the whole series is of course the dragons, arrogant yes, but dragons should be. There were many times you forget they are dragons talking until they start complaining about being hungry :p

Every time the love triangle reared its head with the younger characters, I wanted to put the books down. The characters lose all of their appeal and it so predictable what happens. Yes, characters change as a series progresses, and these are young characters left pretty much by themselves to discover the world and make new choices, but what happens is such a cliché. I did like how one minor character ended up, it was a fitting end, which you could see coming a mile away, but still a good ending for the character.

I haven't read anything else but this series by this author, will give her stories another try since so many people keep telling me that I would love her books. Maybe the next ones I will like better *crosses fingers*



View all my reviews LongbournLongbourn by Jo Baker
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Sort of a re-telling of Pride and Prejudice, but focusing on the Bennet's servants. I don't think you really need to have read Pride and Prejudice to enjoy this book, but if you have, you know what is happening in the Bennets time line upstairs with what the servants are doing in the background.

This isn't the clean cut world of pretty frocks and handsome men with money, it can be pretty dirty but I think it does a good job with showing what the servants have to do and put up with in order for the house to run smoothly. It brings too life more of the time period, not just focusing on the posher parts, which fans of Austen already know about.

Really picky Janeites might not want to read about the underprivileged of the time, they want romance, not chamber pots, but there is still a lot of romance happening with the servants.



View all my reviews

Comments

  1. I've read good reviews of that Longbourn book, thanks for the review I may gird my loins and read it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer of Colour #3