January Book Wrap Up

I only managed to read 4 books in January, and only wrote reviews for 2 of them. Going to have to read faster if I want to get even close to my reading goal this year. I do have a lot of art books that I just bought for cheap that I will add to the finished list when I am done them, but not sure if people would be interested in reviews of books about artists.

Champion (Legend, #3)Champion by Marie Lu
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A series ending that didn't let the rest of the series down. I thought it was fast paced and the characters are true to themselves throughout the whole series rather like in some series when the characters end up doing an action that makes no sense with what we know of them. It does include talk of politics, which I can find boring, but it works here since it is viewed from a character who feels that same way.

Some of the questions were are left with from the first book are answered, like why one character was murdered, and just reinforces my thoughts that the murderer is week willed pushover. The author tries to makes this character come across as a sort of hero at one point, but its too little too late in my opinion.

We get to read about Antarctica, and how much different and advanced it is compared to the 2 main countries in the books. The people of Antarctica come off as very pompous, they are more technologically advanced and use that to their advantage. Would love to have an internet that was so interactive like theirs.

Eona: The Last Dragoneye (Eon, #2)Eona: The Last Dragoneye by Alison Goodman
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A story of Eon (Eona) and his/her (not really a spoiler that he is actually a she, you find out really early in the first book and its on a lot of the blurbs for the books), work to become a Dragoneye. The story starts out with a basic back story and some of the dragon lore of this world. I did find that very interesting and could see the links between the dragons in the story and a lot of different Asian cultures.

Really enjoyed this series. I actually enjoyed the second book more then the first, I think that is because I already knew the characters well and was looking forward to reading more about how the relationships between the dragons and the dragoneyes would develop. I found the series as a whole fast paced and the main characters were well developed. The secondary characters are also well written, and help push the story forward rather then just stand back and let things happen around them.

There was one predictable event that happens with the dragons in the first book, and isn't hard to figure out the reasons why it happens, but other then that I wasn't disappointed in the plot. I was entertained and interested in what happened to the characters, I wanted a few of the characters to really succeed in their goals, (there were a few character that I wanted to die :p but thats the sign of a well written villain). Would definitely recommend to anyone interested in dragon lore.


Started reading NOS4A2, by Joe Hill, and you can really tell that he favours the writing style of his dad, Stephen King. Not necessarily a bad thing, just hope he is better at writing endings. And then, I have no idea what I am going to read, probably just close my eyes and randomly pick something off of my e-reader. Hopefully it turns out to be something I actually want to read :p

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer of Colour #3