Under-Hyped Book Read-a-thon Wrap Up

HR Giger 

HR Giger by Taschen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The photos of Giger's work in this book are very nice. Sometimes a little too dark to see clearly but that adds to the work. Nice short read full of wonderful pictures of work that some people might find very uncomfortable to look at, but hard to look away. I really like his work because its very personal to the artist, full of his nightmares which some people can relate to.

HR GIGER ARh+HR GIGER ARh+ by H.R. Giger
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Too short, but very interesting read since Giger himself wrote it :) Its interesting to have a small glimpse into his childhood and see how he evolved as an artist.



The Lord of the Rings SketchbookThe Lord of the Rings Sketchbook by Alan Lee
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Great book full of sketches for the movie with text from Alan that really helps to explain what he was trying to accomplish with his sketches.I love seeing the sketches of the locations and creatures and then compare to what they look like in the movie.


Street Art: From Around the WorldStreet Art: From Around the World by Garry Hunter
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Very nice photos of all the different types of street art that can be created. I just found it very lacking on info about everything else. I do know it can be hard getting info on an artist that doesn't want to say a lot or be found, due to what they are doing being illegal in a lot of places, but I just found what was written, written poorly.


The Unfeathered BirdThe Unfeathered Bird by Katrina Van Grouw
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is a gorgeous book. They are so many different bird species illustrated that you really do see how they are so structurally different but they still tend to have many biological things in common. Def for a bird and art lover. I found it very interesting to see the different shaped skulls of the different bird species, they are not something that is very common amongst skull collections for drawing due to their being so fragile.

Make Room! Make Room!Make Room! Make Room! by Harry Harrison
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A dystopian novel based around over population. The only complaint I really have about this book is the length. I thought it was too short, would have loved to read about other countries and how they are being effected. You did get a few paragraphs, but I do wish there had of been more. You get a very good sense of how desperate the situation has gotten and how it effects the people of the area and how there really is no solution to the man made problems.

Recommend to people just getting into sci-fi since it is so short but also to everyone because the problems in the book are ones the planet is actually going through now.

Montezuma's Revenge (Tony Hawkin, #1)Montezuma's Revenge by Harry Harrison
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Fast paced but near the end I was starting to roll my eyes wondering how many more "secret" agencies the author could write into the story.

Comments

  1. I never have time to read at home in England but make up for it by reading several books each week when in the Canaries. I like the sound of the bird book and will look out for it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm going to try to do a longer video review of it tomorrow since a few people have asked me to :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer of Colour #3