March Book Wrap Up

I doubt I will finish any more books/graphic novels this month so here is what I managed to read in March.


Revelation Space (Revelation Space, #1)Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I think Reynolds is one of those authors you either like or you don't. Yes he can be a tad wordy, but I blame that on his science background :p At almost 600 pages this can be a bit of a bore if you are not into space operas, but I enjoyed the characters, and the descriptions of the tech and main ship. The ending seemed a little forced, little too fast paced compared to the rest of the book, maybe an extra 100 pages or so would have helped. I don't know how to explain it, such a slow build up and then the ending was kinda like here, I'm bored with this, here is the end :/

Chasm City (Revelation Space, Standalone)Chasm City by Alastair Reynolds
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Re-read but this was always my favourite book from Reynolds that I have read. I thought the world building was great and its not until the end where you really start to tie all the threads together and figure out what is going on. It is pretty long so that might put people off reading it, but its worth the long read :)

A Darker Shade of Magic (A Darker Shade of Magic, #1)A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Quick entertaining read, but not sure if I liked the characters enough to continue with the series once the next one is out. The eye thing with one of the characters is sooo predictable, not sure why its being dragged on, and I will be really surprised if I am wrong about it.


The Encyclopedia of Early EarthThe Encyclopedia of Early Earth by Isabel Greenberg
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

meh :p was Ok, nice art for the story, but I found the text (handwritten font) really hard to read and not that legible its pretty important when it comes to Graphic novels :p


Through the WoodsThrough the Woods by Emily Carroll
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Very nice creepy art (but not too creepy), quick easy entertaining stories and an easily readable font. The simple colours are used very effectively.



Preacher, Volume 1: Gone to TexasPreacher, Volume 1: Gone to Texas by Garth Ennis
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Def. not for kids and anyone who doesn't like gritty,bloody,  sort of realistic art. Enjoyed reading the start of the series and curious what happens next. So far liking how the characters are written, time will tell if they end up like so many other characters in comics, really one sided instead of being 3 dimensional in thought and actions :/ Yes I know the main character has pretty much one purpose at the moment, but there are so many questions about where that "purpose" went and will they find "it", that it makes a person wonder what is going to happen.

Need to stay away from reading too many sci space opera type books if I am going to come anywhere near my goal of 90 books this year lol

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer of Colour #3